[ardour-users] How to cut out segments in CD-arranged recording?

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Fri Dec 2 11:12:26 PST 2005

On 12/2/05, greennick (sent by Nabble.com) <lists at nabble.com> wrote:
>  I need to do what seems like a very simple operation, but I'm completely
> confused - perhaps someone can help me and make my week!
>
> I recorded about 73 minutes of audio that I recorded from a friend's show,
> and I intend to burn CDs of it.  I've got the levels where I want them, and
> I figured out how to divide up CD tracks using location markers and ranges,
> but I still have several gaps of dead time (between sets, recording punch
> ins & outs, etc) that I want to get rid of - permanent delete would be fine
> by me!  But I also want to retain my existing track divisions (since I did a
> nice job getting them right down to the opening beat), and at the moment the
> only thing I can figure out to do is copy and paste new regions and
> re-divide everything, which is a total pain.  What am I missing?
>
> To be totally clear, I'm exporting the audio as little-endian wav and using
> a TOC file built off the location markers to burn through cdrdao.  Thanks!

I believe that if you create the the cd range markers exactly where
you want them (eg, with gaps between them where you wanted to not
include on the CD) then cdrdao will simply skip over those areas of
the exported WAV as it follows the TOC to burn the disc.  I haven't
tried it (all the tocs i've made thus far have contiguous ranges on
the timeline) but there is no reason it *shouldn't* work.  Let us
know...

jlc