[ardour-users] Ardour running on OSX 10.4.3

Neil Shaw neilshaw at mac.com
Thu Dec 1 09:32:52 PST 2005

I have just finished getting Ardour running on 10.4.3 (and it is
running properly). However getting to this stage was non-trivial (and
definitely not intuitive). By the way I'm running a Powerbook G4 1Ghz.

Here is what happened:

When I first installed Ardour along with Jack OSX, QJackctrl, and
X11, I couldn't get Ardour to run by double clicking on the
application icon. Eventually I got it running (sort of) by opening
the Ardour.app package and dropping down to /Resources/bin/ardour and
invoking the app at that point. However Ardour was a default gray
colour and although the track window was present it was black
therefore you couldn't see any wave forms in it. As well all of the
widgets were in their default X11 mode which resulted in a main
window that didn't function right at all.

After trying a whole lot of different voodoo tricks (all found on the
ardour-users archives), none of which worked past the level of
functionality that I had already experienced, I ended up doing a
complete re-install of Tiger. Surprise !! now Ardour runs perfectly,
very functional considering that it is still very Beta.

Here is the steps I took when I re-installed Tiger:

1) Clean Disk Install of Tiger 10.4.0
2) Installed X11 from the Tiger disk
3) Installed the latest versions of Jack OSX and QJackctrl (links are
available from the Ardour download site)
4) Installed Ardour-0.99-tiger
5) Ran QJackctrl (configured to the specifications mentioned in the
included ReadMe file)
6) Double clicked the Ardour icon and, voila ! Ardour was now running
correctly.
7) Shut Ardour down, cancelled the X11 session.
8) Activated the Software Update function and Updated all of the
Apple based software to current versions. (Including Tiger up to 10.4.3)
9) Since QJackctrl had already been configured from the previous run
(step 5) all I did this time was double click the Ardour icon and
watched Ardour launch properly. Everything runs correctly.

Hope this helps