[ardour-users] Ardour needs a forum

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 07:29:06 PDT 2005

On 8/30/05, Brett W. McCoy <idragosani at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/30/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >    Other than that I really prefer email to forums. Lots of topics
> > come across my screen that I'm only thinking about a little bit and it
> > turns out someone has the same problem/interest as I do. A good email
> > title does a lot to get my attention!
>
> I'm with you, Mark, I far prefer email lists to having to wade through
> web-based forums... too much clicking and back and forth...
>
> I recently started using gmail for all of my mailing list stuff...
> it's very useful for organizing and searching, and you can easily
> label lists and topics, and it preserves the 'conversation' aspects of
> a list thread.  I know it's not for everyone, but gmail does provide a
> happy medium (and you can use it with a POP client also).
>
> -- Brett

Yep, gmail handles Gentoo-Users and MythTV-Users, both which are my
most active lists but typically only end up with 20-30 threads a day
even though I'm getting 200-400 emails from them. All that fits on one
page in my browser and isn't hard to work with, most especially when
you get your filters set up correctly. With Gmail I no longer worry
about message count because I don't read most of it and unless I read
it it isn't downloaded here.

Forums are good also once they are established but pretty useless when
they are first getting started. Unless everyone decides to use them
then I still end up searching for email info also so the forum isn't
the only answer.

- Mark