[ardour-users] Dolby Digital Sound Mixing

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun Aug 14 06:46:12 PDT 2005

> I'm new to Ardour and what I've seen to far looks pretty good (although
> it was a little complicated to get it running with Jack in realtime mode
> on my AMD64).

until very recently, no ardour or JACK developers had amd64 systems.
this has now changed, but it will be a while before we get all the
issues with amd64 worked out.

> I want to do the following: I have about 10 audio files (mono .wav)
> which I want to arrange to a Dolby Digital audio stream for a DVD. It's

AFAIK, you cannot create Dolby Digital audio streams with open source
software. the encoding is proprietary.

you can do 2D-planar multi-speaker panning in ardour, for sure, but that
is not the same thing at all.

> One last thing: Did I understand it correctly that I can have different
> equalizer settings for each track?

of course. i don't know of any digital audio work station in which this
is not possible. its such a basic requirement, it would be silly if you
could not. there is no built in EQ per track - it is all done with your
choice of plugins.

--p