[ardour-users] Dolby Digital Sound Mixing

linuxsmiley at gmx.net linuxsmiley at gmx.net
Sun Aug 14 07:04:06 PDT 2005

Hello everybody,

I'm new to Ardour and what I've seen to far looks pretty good (although
it was a little complicated to get it running with Jack in realtime mode
on my AMD64).

I want to do the following: I have about 10 audio files (mono .wav)
which I want to arrange to a Dolby Digital audio stream for a DVD. It's
a recording from the live performance of a local rock band and as they
have a video recording too we want to produce a DVD if possible. So my
idea was to create a track for every single audio file I have and then
have some sort of graphical set up where I can virtually set the track
in the room:

   X   2  5 X
      134  6
        8
    7      9
   X        X

In this little sketch the "X"s represent the five speakers and the
numbers represent the different audio files (we recorded the audience
seperately and want to have them on the rear speakers).

On http://ardour.org/manual/media/images/mixer.png you see right above
the "output" buttons a little diagram which seems to be a control for
setting up the balance. I want to do this with a 5.1 sound.

So my question is: Can I do my little "project" with Ardour? If yes,
how? If no, do you know any alternatives?

One last thing: Did I understand it correctly that I can have different
equalizer settings for each track?

Thanks in advance for any helpful answer and keep up the great work!

Helge Jung