[ardour-users] Automation and the BCF2000

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Mon Apr 25 09:08:23 PDT 2005

Keith Smith wrote on Mon, 25-Apr-2005:

 > 1. In Cubase, connections for channel controls appear to be made
 > dynamically, based on the channel's position. Say you have 20 channels
 > (exceeding the number you can control with the BCF), and there are  3 or
 > 4 (say tracks 17 -19) that you want to write gain envelopes for. You can
 > simply drag those channels to the top of the editor and they become
 > accessible as the first 3 faders on the BCF. Is there a way I can coax
 > Ardour to do this?

Not at this time.  In future versions ardour will have a more
organized control surface configuration setup, where a binding
setup based on numbered track position will be possible.

 > 2. Is there a way to clear or reassign a single track/BCF control
 > connection? (In experimenting with this, I now have 2 track faders
 > connected to a single BCF fader -interesting method of grouping, but
 > hard to undo!)

Yeah, we know about the lack of a bind disconnect, it is fairly
important given the lack of any central binding gui.  There might
be a chance we can convince paul to sneak it in before 1.0.

 > 3. In the Cubase template that comes with the BCF, the buttons assigned
 > to Home and FFWD (in the Ardour manual) are mapped to give an additional
 > page (if you will) of fader controls allowing a total of 16 tracks
 > surface controlled. Is there away to get Ardour to do this?

Nope, not yet.  This will come later when we do a good implementation
for control surfaces.

jlc