[ardour-users] splicing soundfiles

vanDongen/Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 25 05:16:57 PDT 2005

On Monday 25 April 2005 09:53, Orm Finnendahl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to find a way to splice a soundfile at a certain position. The
> only way I was able to get that done was by selecting a region,
> zooming all the way in, reducing the size of the region to zero and
> then pressing the delete key. This is quite time consuming. Is there
> an easier way, like splicing a region at the cursor position or
> similar?

If you mean splitting a region, there are a couple of ways to do it.
But I am not sure if you mean that, your description sounds like your are
actually just deleting a region. Splicing could also mean making 2 regions go
tail-to-front without any space in between.
So:
pressing s will split the region under the cursor at the cursor point, taking
into account snap settings
alt-s will split selected regions at the edit-cursor.
There are quite a few more shortcuts documented at
http://www.ardour.org/manual
or look in  your ~/.ardour/ardour.rc

For the butting regions against each other, you can use the snap-to
region-ends and snap-to-region-starts and snapto-region-bounds.
The last one is still a little buggy.
Note the ardour will only look at the regions in the selected track.

There is also a shuffle-mode. Unfortunately that has limited functionality,
and will simply put all the regions in a track sequentially. (unless you lock
some of them of course)
(I have in my head a model of how it should be done, (just like in protools)
but that won't be added untill after we release ardour-V1 and then the port to
gtk-2 that will be called ardour-2)

Gerard

The fade-in and -out curves can be set from the popup region editor.
The can be dragged by their handles at the region top.
The can be made active unactive by right-clicking and selecting that option.

electronic & acoustic musics-- http://www.xs4all.nl/~gml