[ardour-users] Refugee from Windoze/Cubase -drowning in Linux/Ardour

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 16:19:27 PDT 2005

Keith,
   Congrats! Glad it's working. just a couple more comments and then
you're on your own until you need us again.

1) It may not be apparent since it wasn't apparent to me either. If
you are running a Redhat based system, as Fedora Core is, then there
are two locations that software is normally placed:

/usr/local/bin
/usr/bin

I show them in that order as it's the standard search path order,
meaning if you have two executables with the same name then the one in
/usr/local/bin will be the one that's executed. This is what happened
to you on this go around.

2) Be sure that nothing that I know of supplied by Redhat, the Fedora
team, or Fernando will ever be placed in /usr/local/bin. As you can
see on my machine which has been running FC2 for quite awhile (nearly
a year) there is nothing much here:

[mark at Godzilla mark]$ ls -la /usr/local/bin/
total 15016
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root     4096 Apr  6 16:24 .
drwxr-xr-x  14 root root     4096 Mar 18 19:08 ..
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root       29 Jan  3 15:26 findwine ->
/usr/local/winetools/findwine
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root    13979 Dec 31 10:55 mf2t
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root root 15330836 Nov 13 11:37 supertux
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root       28 Jan  3 15:25 wt ->
/usr/local/winetools/wt209jo
[mark at Godzilla mark]$

3) So why is ANYTHING in /usr/local/bin you ask? Because when you
compile anything under Linux you go through 3 basic steps:

a) configure
b) compile
c) install

It is actually the configure step that is important here. If you do
what someone would consider the logical and simple first step:

./configure

then everything from that configure/compile/install goes into
/usr/local/bin, However if you do:

./configure --prefix=/usr

then everything from that configure/compile/install goes into /usr/bin.

It is far safer, as you have now found out to always do ./configure
--prefix=/usr to ensure that you don't create duplications, but it's
also VERY WISE to look at /usr/local/bin once in awhile to make sure
you know what's there and what isn't.

I bet you won't make that mistake too many more times, but believe me,
you will so keep your eye out for this. It crops up now and again.

On 4/19/05, Keith Smith <kah.smith at shaw.ca> wrote:
<MASSIVE SNIP>

> Qjackctrl started with no grief and Ardour at 44.1
> Hey, if I was rich, I'd buy you a new Porsche. But...

But what???

> Here's the jack messages now:
> 16:14:09.847 Patchbay deactivated.
> 16:14:10.109 Statistics reset.
> 16:14:10.192 MIDI connection graph change.
> 16:14:10.313 MIDI connection change.
> 16:14:12.321 Startup script...
> 16:14:12.322 artsshell -q terminate
> 16:14:12.586 Startup script terminated with exit status=256.
> 16:14:12.589 JACK is starting...
> 16:14:12.590 /usr/bin/jackd -t200 -dalsa -r44100 -p1024 -n2 -D -Chw:0 -
> Phw:0 -zs
> 16:14:12.599 JACK was started with PID=6694 (0x1a26).
> jackd 0.99.36
> Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
> JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
> apparent rate = 44100
> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|
> 32bit
> control device hw:0
> configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
> nperiods = 2 for capture
> nperiods = 2 for playback
> Noise-shaped dithering at 16 bits
> 16:14:14.742 Server configuration saved to "/home/ks/.jackdrc".
> 16:14:14.743 Statistics reset.
> 16:14:14.748 Client activated.
> 16:14:14.750 Audio connection change.
> 16:14:14.753 Audio connection graph change.
> 16:14:36.635 MIDI connection graph change.
> 16:14:36.653 MIDI connection change.
> 16:14:37.104 Audio connection graph change.

I see no problems there but maybe I'm missing something.

I note that you are not using realtime and you are using (I think) the
soft xruns feature. I think this should not be necessary. Using
realtime you will likely be able to run 256/2 as a user (and possibly
lower) without the soft xrun thing. You should verify with lsmod that
you have the realtime-lsm module loaded but being that this is a
Planet box I'm pretty sure you do.

[mark at Godzilla mark]$ /sbin/lsmod | grep realtime
realtime                5256  0
commoncap               6912  1 realtime
[mark at Godzilla mark]$

The only thing I can think of now is that with multiple cards in the
system it would be wise to make sure you are using card indexing in
your modprobe.conf file and that you are talking to the card you want
to talk to.

Anyway, good luck and keep learning. It's fun.

With best regards,
Mark