[ardour-users] Refugee from Windoze/Cubase -drowning in Linux/Ardour

Keith Smith kah.smith at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 19 15:51:12 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 17:42 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> >> configuring for 44100Hz, period =3D 1024 frames, buffer =3D 2 periods
> >> ALSA: cannot set channel count to 2 for capture
> >> ALSA: cannot configure capture channel
>
> what audio interface h/w is this?
Hi Paul,
The cards are Roland RPC-1's manufactured by M-Audio. I believe they are
a modified Delta 1010. This was Rolands only way of directly connecting
the VS series recorders R-buses to a computer. I say was because Roland
stopped selling them -I think they got in a spat with M-audio over the
Delta R-bus card, which was similar, but sold only by M-audio. My
VS-2480 supports 2 cards for a total of 16 tracks of digital I/O. the
VS-2480 can act as master or slave, as can the card and they share midi
timecode via the R-bus connection (I suspect that may be done using the
coax channels on the card?). This too has been a source of variables
that contributes to my quagmire. When it comes to setting slaves and
masters, I haven't been able to figure out who is driving the bus, so to
speak, and pun half intended.

> >3) The path that Jack is running is apparently wrong for a properly
> >installed Planet box:
> >
> >/usr/local/bin/jackd -t200 -dalsa -r44100 -p1024 -n2 -D -Chw:0 -Phw:0
> >-i2 -o2 -zs
> >
> >This is telling me that possibly you have compiled Jack yourself and,
> >if that's the case, all bets are sort of off right now in terms of
> >what's happening. Try doing (as root)
>
> this is definitely a problem. no PlanetCCRMA-configured box should be
> executing (or even have) jackd in /usr/local/bin.
>
> --p
If you check my reponse to Mark, above, you'll see this line has changed
with the removal of /usr/local/bin/jackd
Does it look OK to you now?

Thanks to you too, and Jack, and Jan et al