[ardour-users] Refugee from Windoze/Cubase -drowning in Linux/Ardour

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Mon Apr 18 13:25:34 PDT 2005

Keith,

    Paul and Jesse can probably help you out way better than I can but I
did notice one thing that may be causing you some confusion.
Specifically:

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 19:06, Keith Smith wrote:

> [ks at S01060050da7307e1 ~]$ jackd -R -dalsa -r44100

<snip>

> configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
>

> And new Terminal: Question -Is this correct? Should I leave the jack
> process in the old Terminal tab and start a new one?

    Qjackctl starts jackd as a separate process.  When you start jackd
from the command line, as you did above, if you want to continue to use
the same "terminal" you need to start it in the background.  You do this
by adding an & to the command line so the line above would look like
this

jackd -R -dalsa -r44100 &

That way you can continue to use the same terminal.  It really doesn't
matter whether you do it that way or kick off another terminal.  This
may be "intuitively obvious to the most casual observer" but, since you
said you were a newbie, I figured I might as well point it out ;-)
Personally, I just use qjackctl.

Jan