[ardour-users] Refugee from Windoze/Cubase -drowning in Linux/Ardour

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Mon Apr 18 17:41:45 PDT 2005

Keith Smith <kah.smith at shaw.ca> writes:

> Thanks Jesse and Paul,
> Jesse, your right. I'm so darned confused I'm really not sure what
> question to ask first.
>
> For now:
> I've disabled the `/.jackdrc file -don't know why it was there since I
> started with FC3 2.6  Could FST or vstserver have put it there? I've
> been messing with them but gave up until I get this other stuff sorted.
> Anyway this has changed the situation.

The qjackctl command writes this file unless you tell it not to.
Sometimes that's convenient, but I think it's a mistake.  Users should
have to explicitly ask for this behavior.

You're probably getting confused by the (relatively new) JACK server
start option.  If the JACK server was not already running, ardour may
start it.  This will use the command in ~/.jackdrc (if any).
Otherwise, it starts the server with a bunch of default parameters,
typically: `jackd -dalsa -r48000 -p1024'.  If JACK was built with
--enable-capabilities, it defaults to `jackstart' instead of `jackd'.

Also, it looks like there are two versions of JACK on your system,
0.99.0 and 0.99.36.  That is very bad and extremely confusing.  Be
sure and get rid of one of them.  If you're mixing RPM packages with
code built by hand, the hand-built packages probably went in
/usr/local.  Try building them with --prefix=/usr, so they replace the
packaged version.
--
  joq