[ardour-users] Refugee from Windoze/Cubase -drowning in Linux/Ardour

Keith Smith kah.smith at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 18 17:06:39 PDT 2005

Thanks Jesse and Paul,
Jesse, your right. I'm so darned confused I'm really not sure what
question to ask first.

For now:
I've disabled the `/.jackdrc file -don't know why it was there since I
started with FC3 2.6  Could FST or vstserver have put it there? I've
been messing with them but gave up until I get this other stuff sorted.
Anyway this has changed the situation.

I can't see esd mentioned anywhere in "System Settings"->Server Settings

Now I'm at a point where Ardour seems to load alsa at 48kHz no matter
what I say. Where does it get this value from? This is where I'm
suspicious that I don't have proper control of the cards. I set them at
44.1 in envy24control, but it makes no difference.

Qjaclctrl is set to 44100, and I've called for 44100 from the command
line but Ardour seems to want 48

"creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|512|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|
32bit"

This is confusing because I expect Ardour to ask Jack for a rate.

New Boot:

[ks at S01060050da7307e1 ~]$ jackd -R -dalsa -r44100

jackd 0.99.0

Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.

jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

JACK compiled with System V SHM support

apparent rate = 44100

creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|
32bit

control device hw:0

configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods

And new Terminal: Question -Is this correct? Should I leave the jack
process in the old Terminal tab and start a new one?

[ks at S01060050da7307e1 ~]$ ardour

Ardour/GTK 0.9beta28

(built using 0.579.2 with libardour 0.878.4)

Copyright (C) 1999-2005 Paul Davis

Some portions Copyright (C) Steve Harris, Ari Johnson, Brett Viren, Joel
Baker

Ardour comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

under certain conditions; see the source for copying conditions.

jackstart: cannot get realtime capabilities, current capabilities are:

=ep cap_setpcap-ep

probably running under a kernel with capabilities disabled,

a suitable kernel would have printed something like "=eip"

back from read, ret = 1 errno == Success

jackstart: could not give capabilities: Operation not permitted

jackd 0.99.36

Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.

jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|512|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit

the playback device "hw:0" is already in use. Please stop the
application using it and run JACK again

cannot load driver module alsa

ardour: [ERROR]: Unable to connect to JACK server

ardour: [ERROR]: Could not connect to JACK server as "ardour"

ardour: [ERROR]: Could not connect to JACK server as "ardour"

[ks at S01060050da7307e1 ~]$

A Ha!!
I just ran ardour (no Jack) after a fresh boot and Jackstart appears,
but I can't see where it gets called.

[...]

configuring for 48000Hz, period = 512 frames, buffer = 2 periods
nperiods = 2 for capture
nperiods = 2 for playback
ardour: [INFO]: JACK server started
ardour: [ERROR]: MIDI: no such port device
ardour: [WARNING]: Your system generates "Mod2" when the NumLock key is
pressed. This can cause problems when editing so Ardour will use Mod3 to
mean Meta rather than Mod2

Followed by the Gdk errors, and an Ardour screen.

This would be fine but I've no need to run at 48 kHz.

Since jackstart seems to be called before ardour.rc gets loaded, and I
don't see a reference to jackstart in ardour_ui.rc I have know idea how
to get rid of it.

Sorry to be so dense, but the usual books are just no help in this, and
working through net postings just seems to add more confusion around
this issue.

BTW:
If calling ardour calls jack anyway, why do I need to start jack first?

thanks again,