[ardour-users] MTC & MMC ...

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 18:53:10 PDT 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:26:14 -0500, Third Option
<thirdoption at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm using the same beta19 version. Due to recent information about
> > Rosegarden not handling tempo changes, and probably not loop recording
> > now that I think about it, I'm interested in once again trying to sync
> > Pro Tools LE as a slave to Ardour.
>
> yes I did some stuff with rosegarden syncing to ardour and it really didn't
> work.  oh it thinks it did, but it is REALLY loose.

If 'loose' means the timing is drifting around run to run or measure
by measure then I'm really not hearing that. If loose means I hit one
transport and the time all these apps start and stop isn't the same,
then yes, I am hearing and seeing that just a bit.

> Also my version (beta18) of ardour does not handle tempo changes either - it
> thinks it can, but when it plays back, it has to stop and then start again
> to get going on the new tempo

I think that's fixed in beta 19. I've played with a lot of tempo
changes in Ardour and Ardour does play without pausing. Also, QJC
follows the tempo changes correctly in real time well as far as I can
tell.

One verifiable bug I have seen between Ardour, QJC and jack_showtime
is that when you drag the red time line in Ardour and drop it at a new
time neither QJC or jack_showtime have the right time. They are always
one step behind, but they get in time when the Ardour transport starts
rolling. Minor bug, but a bug none the less.

As for RG, the developers do not follow remote tempo changes and,
AFAICT, have no plans to follow remote tempo changes. They are
focused, from recent conversations, more on real time display of
notation while the transport is rolling. They apparently have issues
about deciding what to do when a remote and local tempo change
conflict with each other. Their answer was that you have to program
tempo changes on both ends.

It all seems a bit too difficult. Throw in the concept of loop
recording and the mind boggles at really making it work well...