[ardour-users] MTC & MMC ...

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Mon Sep 20 18:23:42 PDT 2004

On Monday 20 September 2004 06:05 pm, Third Option wrote:
> This is my main goal in life
>
> Yes you can do it but it ain't perfect yet.
>
> Paul tells me that slaving Ardour to MTC works since beta17 - not
> perfectly, but it does it.  Another cat on here says he's been able to do
> that.  I haven't tested it since beta16 so I will be in a couple weeks
> (busy - sorry!
>
> :) )
>
> the way I'm syncing my sequencer setup now is a bit of a mcgiver hack, but
> it's working.
>
> My main sequencer is Cakewalk for DOS on another computer.  It syncs
> flawlessly to MTC.  now since I haven't been able to send MTC from ardour
> yet, what I've been doing is using my Darwin (which does send MTC and works
> with cakewalk nicely) and ecasound - like so:
>
> 1) connect Darwin MIDI out to cakewalk
> 2) put cakewalk in MTC receive mode
> 3) open ecasound, no chainsetup, MMC mode on, jack transport master (ask
> and I'll hunt down the command - I can't remember it offhand)
> 4) open ardour, put it in jack sync mode (so that it will respond to jack
> transport
> 5) now whenever I type "start" in ecasound, ardour, darwin and cakewalk all
> start at the same time
>
> a note on this.  this is not the best method of sync.  in fact, in the days
> of analog tape, you couldn't do this really.  the reason is although
> everything's started at the same time, not everything necessarily runs at
> the same speed (except darwin and cakewalk, in this scenario) - this is ok
> if they all stay the same within themselves, but of course tape doesn't.
> digital stuff does for the most part.    but here's an example where this
> free floating kind of jam sync thing doesn't work:  if I get an xrun at all
> in Ardour, even if that doesn't actually mess something up in ardour (say
> i'm just playing back for mixdown), it messes all the sync up, because the
> other machines don't cachunk at that same spot.  of course xruns will mess
> ya up anyway, and I'm wondering just what it'll be like when ardour xruns
> when running in MTC sync -
>
> but anyway - that's my hack for doing it.  like I said, somebody else on
> this list has been successful with MTC.  I'll get back to the list when I
> test it for myself (I had given up on MTC until version 1, but was
> surprised by this new report of this guy having used it)
>
> cheers

Gotchyha!  Thanks for the info...

But...this tells me what I really need to know...that I can't do what I want
right now with Ardour. :(

I need SMPTE time code so that the song pointer tells slaved apps right where
it is. I'm using Cakewalk Sonar XL as my seq. I need to be able to keep midi
and audio wav in sync to the point that I have my best takes and I can
mixdown in this way, keeping midi limited to a stereo mix but mixed none the
less.

 My alternatives SUCK! I would have to bounce midi tracks to wave 2 x 2 and
then still possibly suffer from sync issues or just do as I'm doing; dump a
stereo mix of the midi to 2 tracks in Ardour and ~guess~ the mix {Which is
bloody near impossible}...

Maybe I'm wrong...I'll be happy to be wrong in this case if anyone has a
better idea??

R~