[ardour-users] MTC & MMC ...

Third Option thirdoption at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 20 18:05:34 PDT 2004

This is my main goal in life

Yes you can do it but it ain't perfect yet.

Paul tells me that slaving Ardour to MTC works since beta17 - not perfectly,
but it does it.  Another cat on here says he's been able to do that.  I
haven't tested it since beta16 so I will be in a couple weeks (busy - sorry!
:) )

the way I'm syncing my sequencer setup now is a bit of a mcgiver hack, but
it's working.

My main sequencer is Cakewalk for DOS on another computer.  It syncs
flawlessly to MTC.  now since I haven't been able to send MTC from ardour
yet, what I've been doing is using my Darwin (which does send MTC and works
with cakewalk nicely) and ecasound - like so:

1) connect Darwin MIDI out to cakewalk
2) put cakewalk in MTC receive mode
3) open ecasound, no chainsetup, MMC mode on, jack transport master (ask and
I'll hunt down the command - I can't remember it offhand)
4) open ardour, put it in jack sync mode (so that it will respond to jack
transport
5) now whenever I type "start" in ecasound, ardour, darwin and cakewalk all
start at the same time

a note on this.  this is not the best method of sync.  in fact, in the days
of analog tape, you couldn't do this really.  the reason is although
everything's started at the same time, not everything necessarily runs at
the same speed (except darwin and cakewalk, in this scenario) - this is ok
if they all stay the same within themselves, but of course tape doesn't.
digital stuff does for the most part.    but here's an example where this
free floating kind of jam sync thing doesn't work:  if I get an xrun at all
in Ardour, even if that doesn't actually mess something up in ardour (say
i'm just playing back for mixdown), it messes all the sync up, because the
other machines don't cachunk at that same spot.  of course xruns will mess
ya up anyway, and I'm wondering just what it'll be like when ardour xruns
when running in MTC sync -

but anyway - that's my hack for doing it.  like I said, somebody else on
this list has been successful with MTC.  I'll get back to the list when I
test it for myself (I had given up on MTC until version 1, but was surprised
by this new report of this guy having used it)

cheers