[ardour-users] RME Hammerfall 9652

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 11:01:39 PDT 2004

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 10:04:42 -0700, Dan Sawyer <dsawyer at blenderwars.com> wrote:
> Ok, I now have it hooked up to an A/D converter,

A/D or D/A?

You need a D/A with either ADAT (like an AI-3) or s/pdif in, and then
the analog out going to the monitors.

I think I would NOT hook up both ADAT *and* s/pdif. Choose 1 or the other.

If you have an A/D then no wonder it's not working... ;-)

> with the converter going out
> to the monitors. I have redirected the playback output to
> every track (and am gettting the proper activity on the level meters for every
> track), but I still am getting no-joy on the A/D converter (zero signal
> coming in at all), even though it's connected both to SPDIF and to one of the
> lightpipes.  (BTW, testing the A/D converter with my ADAT deck reveals that it
> is, indeed working properly).
>
> Not quite sure where to go from here...attepts to access the card mannually
> using asound result in the following error: linux:/proc/asound # alsamixer -c
> 0 contents
> No mixer elems found

Again - as I said earlier, alsamixer does NOT work with the HDSP 9652.
Don't even try. You must use hdspmixer and hdspconf, or possibly
aconnect command if you are a command line masocist.

> I'm stumped...and have no clue what to try next.  Can you offer any guidance?

Try this. Disconnect the D/A or A/D. Take a s/pdif cable and hook the
output and input on the HDSP 9652 together. Route audio to the spdif
outputs (25/26) and get audio displaying on the bottom row of meter.
Now, do you see audio coming in on the top row of meters?

If things are working you shoulod. If things are not working (ala when
I had the HDSP 9652 in my Linux box) then possibly you will not...