[ardour-users] Re: Re: Book

andy news4 at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Sat Sep 11 20:01:18 PDT 2004

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:40:04 -0600, D. R. Evans wrote:

> andy said the following at 2004-09-11 13:22 :

> Step 2 says:
>
> Check the input configuration for the new track. Click on its editor
> corntol area. A mixer strip appears in the editor for this track. Click
> on the Input button near the top of the strip, and select Edit from the
> menu. The srtdanad I/O dialog pops up to let you connect the track to
> whichever JACK port you want to record from.
>
> I looked at that pop-up, and was completely bamboozled as what I was
> supposed to do with it.
>
> Step 3 was even worse, telling me to make sure that the "track's output
> is connected as [I] intend". To which my response was more or less "What
> in the name of sanity is it talking about?"
>
> At that point, since I knew that I had no idea what two
> seemingly-important steps were talking about, I decided that it didn't
> make sense to pretend that everything was hunky-dory and proceed from
> that point. So I stopped and sent my note to the reflector.
>
> I do want to make it clear, as I hope I did in my prior post, that I'm
> not complaining. But when the documentation for Ardour is eventually
> done, I do hope that it will be written at the right level so that the
> software becomes useful to general musicians.
>
>    Doc

Maybe what's needed is two documents - a technical manual which describes
in detail how each part of the system works, and a tutorial which takes
someone step by step through an example project, starting with the
simplest examples and then building it up to do more complex things.

--
http://www.niftybits.ukfsn.org/

remove 'n-u-l-l' to email me. html mail or attachments will go in the spam
bin unless notified with [html] or [attachment] in the subject line.