[ardour-users] using effects, mainly eq

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Oct 31 22:18:40 PST 2004

The latency is from the period settings you are using for jack.

I have found that EQing a track I have to use a similar setup to the way you are
using jack-rack then record the part/s to a new region.

It's also possible to use ardours automation but I have never found time to get
into it. If your computer is powerful eg  > 2.0mhz then automation should work
very well for your needs.

There is a document describing how to use automation but it is way outdated and
things may be done very differently now. Check the ardour documentation project
for that piece.

Or else someone here might give you up to date info.

Regards.

Quoting Stephen Kelly <stephen.kelly at dal.ca>:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on some music in Ardour and trying to figure out the best way to
> equalize certain tracks.  I have about 10 tracks.  I start Jack with real
> time
> priority and 44100 sampling using Qjackctl, and then start Ardour and open my
> project.  What I'm doing is this:
> In the mixer window I right-click on the "Post-fader inserts, sends, and
> pluggins" box and choose "New Plugin".  Then I add the pluggin I'm trying to
> use, which for the time being is just the Multiband EQ by Steve Harris.  It
> seems to work ok on one track but if I try to add this pluggin on more than
> one
> track I always get the error message "Jack has either shutdown or it has
> disconnected Ardour because Ardour was not fast enough.  You should save the
> session and restart both Jack and Ardour."
> I've also tried using Jack Rack to add Multiband EQ to multiple tracks.  In
> this
> case I open Jack Rack and add and enable the Multiband EQ.  Then I use the
> "connect" patchbay in Qjackctl.  In the patchbay I disconnect the outputs I
> want to EQ from the "master in", connect them to Jack Rack in, then connect
> Jack Rack outs to the master in.  When I use this process I get quite a bit
> of
> latency. (If I plug the Ardour click track through Jack Rack there is quite
> an
> echo on the processed version).
>
> Am I doing something wrong?
> What is the best way to EQ multiple tracks?
>
> Tahnks so much,
> Stephen

 Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
 Http://www.boosthardware.com
 Http://www.djcj.org/ - The Linux Audio Users guide
 Http://www.djcj.org/gigs - Gigs Guide Korea

 Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No!
 We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything
 I've ever done.

 Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002
 The Scotsman