[ardour-users] questions about harddisks and drums (sampling)
ziefle at ifd.mavt.ethz.ch
Sun Oct 31 11:04:05 PST 2004
I am a new user of ardour. I've installed ardour, jack, jamin and
whatnot. Now I think I'm ready to go but still have some beginner
My setup is the following:
* IBM Thinkpad T42 (1 Gb RAM, 60 Gb harddisk w/ 5400 rpm)
* RME Hammerfall Multiface w/ cardbus interface
* some guitars and amps :)
* Midi keyboard
1. Is the harddisk fast enough, or will I need a 7200 rpm one (Hitachi
2. How do you guys do your drums? I'd like to use software samples like
``Drumkit from Hell'', but has anybody experience with that? If so,
what software sampler are you using? Has anybody experience with a
Midi-triggered expander, like the Yahama Motif?
3. I guess the 60 Gb won't last too long. Is an external (USB2-)
harddisk advisable, or is it too slow for performance reasons? What's
a good solution here?
4. Will I need an external mixer/equalizer?
Thanks for reading,
More information about the Ardour-Users