[ardour-users] Unable to add more tracks

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 14:53:56 PDT 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:41:53 -0600 (MDT), James Rich
<james at universe.chowhouse.com> wrote:
<SNNIP>
> However, I don't think your hardware need to have the same number of
> channels as you ardour session.
<SNIP>

Yes, you are correct about  that. However, it is my understanding that
Ardour shows each and every track that it makes to the output. Each
track is wired into JAck and each track effects the remaining number
of ports left in your port count. Paul showmed me this yesterday on
the Ardour chat channel:

1) Start Jack
2) jack_lsp -l (4 ports on my laptop)
3) Start Ardour
4) jack_lsp -l (11 ports on my laptop)
5) Add a stereo track in Ardour
6) jack_lsp -l (15 ports on my laptop)

You'll start to understand how these ports get used up.

Unfortunately if you disconnect inputs, which I often do jsut to make
sure I don't mess with audio after it's recorded, it does not reduce
port couny usage in the jack_lsp -l command.

Try it, you 'll like it. ;-)

- Mark