[ardour-users] Unable to add more tracks

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 14:32:13 PDT 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:18:41 -0400, Joe Hartley <jh at brainiac.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:50:34 -0500
> "Third Option" <thirdoption at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > and what is that?
> >
> > jackd -p<somenumber> -R -d alsa -...blah...
> >
> > is that right?
>
> That's correct, that will up the # of ports.  And if you use Qjackctl,
> it's even easier to set.  I upped that value to 256, and my session is now
> happily getting tracks added again.

I haven't had a chance to boot up my HDSP 965 machine in the last
couple of days to check this, but it would seem to me (if I understand
the way this works) that the HDSP9652 and/or Multiface would almost
*require* that you bump this value up.

On my laptop I have a 2-in/2-out sound chip. Ardour takes 7 ports.
Start Jack, start Ardour and then run jack_lsp. I see 11 ports used.
With a default value of 64 for

jackd -R -dalsa ...

I have 64-11, or 53 left. Divide by 2 and you can get 26 stereo
tracks. If I need more then you can up the port count to this:

jackd -R -p128 -dalsa ...

should give 128-11, or 58 stereo tracks. (In my head)

However, if I start up my HDSP 9652, which has 26 inputs and 26
outputs, then a default value of 64 would give me

64-56, or only 4 stereo tracks.

Can this be correct? It seems far too low for a default.

where am I going wrong with this calculation?

- Mark