[ardour-users] some questions

Josh Karnes jkarnes1 at austin.rr.com
Wed Nov 10 08:55:00 PST 2004

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings:
>
>  Just a few questions for my fellow Ardouristas:
>
>    Do you run Jack + Ardour as root ? (It seems to fix some performance
> problems for me).

I do, but it's not normally advised.  A kernel with "capabilities patch" is
supposed to alleviate the requirement to run as root in order to gain
real-time scheduling priority or whatever it is you gain by running as root.
  I am going to begin trying to run Ardour as non-root and see how it goes...

>    When I start writing an automated fade the fader always resets to
> unity before writing. Is there a way to force it to start from the
> fader's current position ?

I am eagerly anticipating the answer to this question...  as this is a major
irritation for me!!  I mean, you get the "static" mix nearly perfect, need a
touch of automation for a fade out or solo or whatever, and suddenly your
whole baseline mix is blown.

>    Do you have any favorite LADSPA or VST effects you use frequently ?

I use TAP Dynamics all the time with my quasi-opto curves.  It works, but
it's not as good as my vst favorite:  Blockfish!!  The whole "fish filets"
suite (Blockfish, Floorfish and Spitfish) are fantastic, and so are the
other stuff from digital fish phones such as THD, endorphin, etc.  Freeverb
(VST version) is also great.  I really love that stuff and miss it dearly on
Ardour.  Ardour won't build on my system with vst support (won't build for
source at all and it's way too much trouble for me to spend any more time
figuring out why), so I don't use these anymore since switching to Linux.
The lack of access to these critical plugins is almost enough for me to
switch back to Windows, at least to mix.  It's like making near and dear
pieces of audio recording equipment suddenly unusable...

If anyone knows of a binary RPM for FC1 of beta19 or later with vst support
in it, I'm all ears!  Will the Mandrake rpm work?  I'm dying over here!  ;)
  The Planet CCRMA build does not have VST support...

>    I'm using a Delta 66 card. If you're using such a card, what are your
> JACK settings ?

I'm using Delta 1010...  similar enough...  24/44.1, realtime, and whatever
combo of buffers & etc. that results in 93ms of latency works for me.  I
don't mind more latency but Jack won't start with higher settings.  No point
in lower latency with the monitor mixer feature of the Delta cards.