[ardour-users] Question: Suse 9.1 / AMD 64 / Echo Audio Drivers

tito at rumford.de tito at rumford.de
Wed May 19 02:06:36 PDT 2004

Anthony DiSante <orders at nodivisions.com>:
> Wolfgang Woehl wrote:
> > The echo driver is developed by Giuliano Pochini who has done
> > terrific work so far in making the mixer functionality etc.
> > available as linux apps. Couple of weeks ago i tested it with a
> > layla20. Worked superb.
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to get my friend's layla20 to work in Gentoo linux, and so
> far have not succeeded.  I'm following the instructions on this page:
>
> http://xoomer.virgilio.it/g_pochini/ea.html
>
> ...and using alsa 1.0.4.  I can modprobe snd-layla20, and then that
> and a few other snd* things show up with lsmod, but aplay always
> reports this:
>
> aplay: main:507: audio open error: No such device
>
> And Emixer says "no Echoaudio cards found."  The system is using
> devfs; not sure if that changes anything.  If you could give me any
> suggestions about how you got it set up, I'd appreciate it.

Since I don't have the Layla20 anymore I don't think I can be very
helpful here. You probably already know about aplay -l and aplay -D
hw:c where c would be your Layla number from aplay -l.

Have you set up your modules.conf? I had

# snd
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore

# layla20
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias snd-card-0 snd-layla20
alias sound-slot-0 snd-layla20

in there (Call depmod -A if you change it). Depending on your setup the
first 0s could of course be 1s or whatever. Try alsaconf anyway.
Contact Giuliano Pochini <pochini at shiny.it>, he knows the wire and he's
very helpful.

Wolfgang