[ardour-users] Question: Suse 9.1 / AMD 64 / Echo Audio Drivers

Wolfgang Woehl tito at rumford.de
Tue May 18 03:17:40 PDT 2004

"Aaron" <ardour-list at aaron1.net>:

> Can use the 64-bit capability of my new computer with Suse 9.1 and
> Ardour? Echo does not publish Linux drivers on their website, but I
> read somewhere that the card is "fully supported" by Ardour.  Also,
> how would such a driver work under 64-bit Suse 9.1?  Could you just
> recompile it?

Whether anything you build makes use of the 64 processor probably
depends on your build environment and on what you tell the compiler to
do.

Ardour uses jack for audio i/o. jack uses -- among other systems -- alsa
for audio i/o. So whatever alsa supports can be used with ardour. Check
whether suse ships the alsa-echo-drivers anyway (you would probably
look for the mia in yast->hardware->sound).

If not you need kernel source, alsa source, echo-driver source, 5
minutes to read the echo-driver dox and 5 more seconds to compile alsa/
echo on your hot box 8). Get the stuff from http://www.alsa-project.org

The echo driver is developed by Giuliano Pochini who has done terrific
work so far in making the mixer functionality etc. available as linux
apps. Couple of weeks ago i tested it with a layla20. Worked superb.

Wolfgang