[ardour-users] Recording volume problem

Geoffrey Wossum geoffrey at pager.net
Tue Mar 23 06:41:17 PST 2004

On Tuesday 23 March 2004 08:05 am, Ross Vandegrift wrote:

> 	When doing an overdub, the level of the track being recorded is
> a whole lot lower than when Ardour is sitting idle, metering input.
> After the overdub is taken, I can play it back, and it's at the level I
> expected.  So the take is good - it was just freakin hard to hear it
> when I was playing!

Using the CVS snapshot from last Friday night, I noticed a similar problem.
It seemed to me like when I was just monitoring (not recording), that Ardour
was giving me two streams of the input channel, making it seem really loud.
There also seemed to be a very slight delay between the two streams I was
hearing, which is why I think it was two streams being played rather than it
was just louder.  Yet when I was recording, it was much quieter through the
monitor, like the delayed stream disappeared.  Or maybe the undelayed stream
disappeared.  The actual recording seemed fine.  I was using software
monitoring at the time.

One other thing I noticed that may be important.  Previous to trying this
version, I only heard input channels when I had their record status enabled.
But now I hear all input channels, all the time, regardless of their record
enable state!

---
Geoffrey