[ardour-users] Potential user Ardour questions

lee at fallingforward.net lee at fallingforward.net
Sun Mar 21 19:54:48 PST 2004

Think of Gentoo as the opposite of Fedora. You start with nothing,
literally. You then install the base system by downloading a "stage"
tarball, depending on how much of this base system you want custom
compiled versus the Gentoo dev's choices. Stage 1 means compile
everything, Stage 3 means compile nothing.

Then you install your apps. There are none installed by default, and
everything is compiled on your machine i.e. there are no binaries in the
distro. As you can imagine this takes quite a long time. Some big hits are
Xfree86, GCC/glibc and GTK+/QT. Baiscally any big library of code will
take a long time. All of this is made very simple by Gentoo's package
manager, so-called Portage. It has multiple branches, each with it's own
set of dependencies. This is both a bennefit and an annoyance. It's good
because if a certian package is labled "unstable" you don't have to change
anything more than a single environment variable install it, and you can
do it selectively. This is bad because it's a great way to break your
system if some packages aren't compatible.

I like Gentoo because when I was using Debian I found myself downloading
and compiling lots of source code anyway. It's nice to have a package
manager that already assumes you're going to be compiling stuff. Don't so
this with a small hard disk though :)

-lee