[ardour-users] Potential user Ardour questions

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Mar 24 01:41:28 PST 2004

Hallo,
Josh Karnes hat gesagt: // Josh Karnes wrote:

> I'm running Fedora Core 1 (upgraded from formerly RH8 then RH9) on one of
> my PCs that I use daily and it's been solid, reliable and full-featured.  I
> really like it.  However, it seems a bit "heavy" for an audio
> application...  It's got a lot of fluff that gets installed without any
> real choice in the matter.  I have learned that cleaner is better for my
> audio PC.

Well, this isn't Windows: There is no need to reinstall a distribution
to customize it and make it leaner or a fatty. You even can have
different levels of fatness on one machine. For example, on a shared
office machine, a colleague of mine uses the whole KDE Shebang and
Open Office and all, whereas I, if I sit at this machine, use lots of
terminals on a blackbox WM.

So Gentoo is in no way leaner by default, and you can easily make
Gentoo as fat as a Standard Suse install. It will just take you longer
to wait because everything has to compile... (Personally I prefer to
compile only some of my apps, where I did changes compared to
distribution packages.)

You always have the choice not to run a software, that is installed,
and this unused "cruft" on your harddisk won't hit audio performance
at all.

ciao