[ardour-users] Potential user Ardour questions

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sun Mar 21 18:05:24 PST 2004

GNOME has the same order of overhead that KDE has - too much.  I
originally started out using fvwm2 but a number of people recommended
fluxbox and blackbox.  After trying both I switched to blackbox (it was
pretty much a tossup).  It's really easy to set up a menu for your audio
stuff.  There are a few things I kill prior to doing any serious
recording even though I'm running blackbox.  I take down:

    service amd stop
    service portmap stop
    service nfs stop
    service network stop
    service lpd stop
    service crond stop
    service syslog stop

I just don't like anything interrupting while I'm recording ;-)  Of
course I crank them back up when I'm finished (it's almost easier to
just reboot).  The service command is available on RH/Fedora systems.
Prior to running Ardour you'll also want to kill autorun and artsd.

Jan