[ardour-users] Potential user Ardour questions

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Sat Mar 20 12:21:09 PST 2004

I think regardless of how well some apps can be ported from one platform
to another, you *are* in fact changing platforms. Some changes in your
work habits are to be expected. Sometimes, this is really for the
better, as it pushes you in new creative directions. Or makes you
realize how pigeonholed you are in a specific software combination ;-)

Myself, I took about a year to really get comfortable in the Linux audio
environment, but I also feel that the sounds I make have adapted with
the new set of tools. On the other hand, if you are a skilled computer
musician, you should be able to make what you want using whatever tools
are at hand, rather than be dependant on one specific platform or app.

>>The VST thing is the kicker for me, I think, since I am highly addicted to a
>>Windows-VST compressor plugin.  However, this plugin is said to work with the
>>wine & vstserver implementation.

You may spend more time fiddling with Wine and VSTserver than in
discovering a new plugin that makes you happy. After all, you make the
music, not the plugin. [we hope...]

> 	You might want to try Steve Harris' SC4 LADSPA plugin.

I am quickly becoming a convert to Jamin's compressors. Try it and maybe
you like it.

good luck,
D.

--