[ardour-users] Potential user Ardour questions

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Sat Mar 20 07:57:11 PST 2004

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen wrote on Sat, 20-Mar-2004:

 > > What's the latency like with this kind of hardware?
 > >

 > 1-3ms or something if you are lucky. Should be better than in windows,
 > but you might spend some time tuning the system.

Even though you can attain this low latency, I like to reiterate
that it just isn't usually necessary (or cpu efficient) to do so unless
you are monitoring with host-based effects or doing live soft
synth work.   Using more buffering (higer latency) both decreases cpu overhead
and reduces risk that something unforeseen actually does cause an xrun,
potentially ruining the take.

Everyone is always focused on low latency, when it really isn't
what everyone needs....  ignore me if you have good reasons for
wanting it.  This was just a public service announcement :)

jlc