[ardour-users] What kernel are you running?

Jim Dory jdory at gci.net
Thu Mar 18 13:45:46 PST 2004

Nathan Funk wrote:

> Thanks for all your feedback on this topic! I'm suprised how many
> people are running 2.6 already.
>
> The snags I'm running into must be related to my hardware or something
> specific about my setup. I have now tried the 2.6.3-gentoo-r1, but I
> had the same lockups as with 2.6.4-gentoo-mm1. It locked up the first
> time I started KDE, and once about 2 seconds after starting jackd with
> qjackctl. I'm doing other important work (school projects) on this
> computer now, so I really can't afford having too many lockups before
> the projects are over... I guess I'll have to wait until I have time
> to figure out the issues with 2.6.
>
> BTW I have a 1.6MHz P4, 512MB with a SB Ensoniq (ES1371) and onboard
> C-Media sound - not great cards but it does the trick for a bad
> guitarist/singer :)
>
> Nathan

I'm running something like 2.6.0-gentoo-test11 or whatever the syntax
is. I've gotten everything working, using this install on a ata drive
hooked to a serielle 2 adapter on a sata motherboard. Suse 8.2 resides
on a sata drive hooked into the motherboard, but I was running into too
many problems installing ardour on that system (2.4 kernel). That gentoo
kernel was the latest at the time I installed it, and since it and
gentoo are all supporting ardour/jack without significant problems, I'm
hesitant to change anything. Haven't really used ardour as maybe it was
intended, I have only used it to record some live recordings off my
minidisc, and export to wav files.. and that seems to be working.  The
computer has a Delta 66 soundcard, 2.8 Intel cpu.

I'll admit I don't really know how to run Ardour well yet. Hoping when
1.0 comes out, there may be some more documentation. I really appreciate
the documentation that is already out there.

cheers, JD