[ardour-users] What kernel are you running?

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Wed Mar 17 02:41:51 PST 2004

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:01:25 +0000
Nathan Funk <nathanfunk at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Hey guys - I would like to get a feel for how many people are running
> a 2.6 kernel.
>
> I recently switched from a 2.4.22-gentoo-r2 kernel to the 2.6.4-mm1.
> It supposedly is specially tuned for multimedia and desktop
> applications. I barely noticed any difference. Having Alsa in the
> kernel is nice, but no major benefit. Reduced latency on the desktop
> (KDE 3.2) was barely noticable. And I ran into semi-random freezes.
> For example when I started qjackctl the system froze, and I also had
> to other complete freezes possibly related to audio.
>
> Is 2.6.4 too bleeding edge for audio/ardour? Should I give 2.6.1 a
> try? Should I wait for >2.6.10? What are your experiences?

Everytime i tried 2.6.x with preemptive enabled it couldn't compare to
2.4.x with preept+lowlat. Operation was far less reliable.. Everything
else except audio stuff seemed to work fine though.. So i stick to 2.4.

System:

1.2ghz duron 786mb sdram
ide and scsi drives
soundcard terratec dmx xfire 1024 [cs46xx]
OS: debian gnu/linux unstable distr.

--
Scheisst ein Baer in den Wald?