[ardour-users] What kernel are you running?

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Wed Mar 17 06:30:48 PST 2004

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Nathan Funk wrote:

> Hey guys - I would like to get a feel for how many people are running a
> 2.6 kernel.

I do. Don't know why, except that I like trying new things. But I hear
from others that it feels faster, and I beleive that myself, although it
might not be true. :)

> I recently switched from a 2.4.22-gentoo-r2 kernel to the 2.6.4-mm1. It
> supposedly is specially tuned for multimedia and desktop applications. I
> barely noticed any difference. Having Alsa in the kernel is nice, but no
> major benefit. Reduced latency on the desktop (KDE 3.2) was barely
> noticable. And I ran into semi-random freezes. For example when I
> started qjackctl the system froze, and I also had to other complete
> freezes possibly related to audio.

Thats true, when you mention it. The machine has frozen running jack
a couple of times. But only when running ardour. But that could
have been a bug in ardour or jack, and not in linux. I can ping the
machine, so it can be the watchdog thats not working. Is the
watchdog supposed to work?