[ardour-users] What kernel are you running?

Nathan Funk nathanfunk at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 16 08:01:25 PST 2004

Hey guys - I would like to get a feel for how many people are running a
2.6 kernel.

I recently switched from a 2.4.22-gentoo-r2 kernel to the 2.6.4-mm1. It
supposedly is specially tuned for multimedia and desktop applications. I
barely noticed any difference. Having Alsa in the kernel is nice, but no
major benefit. Reduced latency on the desktop (KDE 3.2) was barely
noticable. And I ran into semi-random freezes. For example when I
started qjackctl the system froze, and I also had to other complete
freezes possibly related to audio.

Is 2.6.4 too bleeding edge for audio/ardour? Should I give 2.6.1 a try?
Should I wait for >2.6.10? What are your experiences?

Thanks!

Nathan