[ardour-users] documentation and running ardour on suse 9

Markus Piipari 2pii at luukku.com
Tue Mar 16 06:29:56 PST 2004

Otto Hase wrote:

> If any body needs info re installation on suse 9.0
> please contact me !!

I would be quite interested in knowing how you tuned your SuSE 9.0 system for Ardour.

So far I have almost but not quite entirely succesfully run Ardour on my machine, which has a 1.6GHz Athlon XP CPU, 512 megs of RAM, an NVidia graphics card, an 80G Seagate Barracuda harddisk and an Asus A7V333 motherboard. Oh, and my audio interface is an RME Multiface. :)

The "not quite entirely" bit is that sometimes while recording (often enough for it to be quite annoying, because  it tends to happen during the best guitar shredding of the day) I experience these single xruns of around 40 to 60ms that interrupt the take I'm recording.

At times, I may well be able to record takes of several minutes in length without problems. Then again, on a bad day, xruns may repeatedly occur as soon as 15 seconds into a take.

I don't know if it has any significance, but these xruns never occur when only playing back audio (which I do a lot, as I listen to all my records with AlsaPlayer, configured to use Jack).

Neither sample rate nor buffer size seems to have any effect on this at all. The amount and requency of xruns is pretty much the same with rates from 44.1kHz to 96kHz and buffer sizes from 256 up to 4096 samples.

I run Ardour in KDE 3.2. I have tried using other windowing environments, too, but the effects stay the same.

I have to confess, though, that there are still many tips and tricks for Jack and Ardour-related tuning, often pointed to in discussions on this list, that I have not applied to my system, because I haven't had the time and the possessive drive to do it all yet.

Nevertheless, I thought I'd ask you if you could describe in detail the steps you took in setting up your SuSE 9.0 system. It might well save my lazy butt several hours of futile work... :)

- Markus

 MTV3 Laajakaista - Hauskemman elämän puolesta.
 http://www.mtv3.fi/liittyma/hankinta/laajakaista/