[ardour-users] Recording music

Doug James dcjames at comcast.net
Sun Mar 14 15:50:24 PST 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 17:05, Markus Pfeifer wrote:

> don't have any idea what alsa_pcm:capture_1 is. That is what appears in
> this window as the input channel. So I looked at alsamixer and put the
> "capture"-bar to 100%, as I thought that could be related, but when I
> play something on the keyboard nothing changes.
> So I looked at the output configuration, and there is alsa_pcm:playback_1
> This is all cryptic to me.
> I am a UNIX/Linux engineer since many years, but feel like a real newbie
> on this subject. I've never been into audio hardware, that might be the
> issue here.

view it as connecting up a pipeline.

instrument | capture[1..n] | track input
instrument connects to the recording input aka capture which connects to
the track input which records the instrument. To play it back or
monitor:

track output | (bus input or playback) | amp

Just remember every output needs an input or you can't annoy the
neighbors with all the melodic feedback ;)