[ardour-users] Weird lockup thing

Nathaniel Virgo nathaniel.virgo at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 15 07:16:49 PDT 2004

I'm not sure whether to post this to mantis as I'm not sure if it's an
ardour or a plugin issue or just something odd about my system, but
every now and then when I'm playing with LADSPA plugins my system
suddenly becomes really sluggish, with the screen updating about once a
second.  So far it's only happened when using the TAP Reverberator or
the GLAME Highpass filter (and possibly with the Tube Amp with tone
controls, I can't remember).  It's also so far only happened when using
Ardour, although I haven't played much with plugins in other programs on
this machine yet.

Ardour doesn't get kicked out by JACK and the DSP usage meter doesn't go
up (it stayed at 11.2% last time it happened).  The response time gets
slower and slower as time goes on but if I manage to kill ardour or
disable the plugin before it gets too bad to do that it goes straight
back to normal.  If it gets too bad I have to reset the machine.
Sometimes I can hear a click at longer and longer intervals, which I'm
guessing is a buffer's worth of audio arriving at the soundcard.  It
seems to happen at a fairly random point when I've been using the plugin
for a while, but last time it happened it was just as the GLAME filter
stopped recieving any input, which makes me think it could be a denormal
thing maybe?

I'm using QJackCtl - my .jackdrc says /usr/bin/jackstart -R -t5000
-dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p512 -n2.  This is a pretty standard Planet CCRMA
install and the problem happens in CCRMA's ardour beta11.2 and beta16.1
which I installed from the tarball.

It's a second-hand laptop so I'm not entirely sure about all the
hardware but the CPU is a P4 2.6 GHz, the soundcard is the onboard one
for the time being (driver seems to be snd-intel8x0 maybe?) and I think
most of the other stuff is made by SiS.

Any help you can give me or advice about where to report the problem to
would be much appreciated.  I can provide more information if you tell
me how to get it!

Nathaniel.