[ardour-users] good system...but crackling in audio?

Eric ej at ir.iit.edu
Mon Jun 14 07:54:08 PDT 2004

I used to have a similar crackling problem caused by my old Voodoo3
PCI video card on my dual athlon system.  The crackles were directly
related to redrawing the screen when i moved windows, etc., and were
even worse if I didn't have my X server running in accelerated mode.
I replaced it with an AGP one and that solved the crackling.  It seems
that PCI bus activity can really screw stuff up...at least on dual
Athlons with Delta cards (mine is a 66), not sure if this is a
universal difficulty.  I still suspect my PCI SCSI controller of being
part of the reason why I can't really operate on latency lower than -p
256 -n 3...not sure whether IDE would solve that or not since it hangs
off the athlon's PCI bus too.

eric.

http://ir.iit.edu/~ej