[ardour-users] good system...but crackling in audio?

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 14 03:18:56 PDT 2004

--- "Jeremy M. Booth" <bq20 at comcast.net> wrote:
> really?  What do you mean by a "lot" of network
> activity...running an
> instant messaging client, or a download, or a remote
> X session?  What
> kind of system are you running? What network
> devices?  The "crackling" I
> get sounds like clipping, but according to the
> meters I have some
> headroom to spare.

>From what I can tell, the meters are trustworthy.
Above the meters is a numerical report that will hold
the peak readings.

  I'm beginning to think it might
> be a summing issue

Not sure what you mean by a summing issue. Could you
explain?

> or the metering isn't fast enough to show some fast
> transients that
> could be clipping.

I recently used one of Tom's Limiters to control
transient spikes. The sources were 16bit, 44100
produced on a Yamaha 4416 with its very marginal A/D
convertors. The limiter worked very nicely. The
transients I was dealing with were visible in the peak
files. So far, I haven't had any that weren't visible
and I am control freak when it comes to output levels
during mastering. I think I would have known but then
again, maybe not.

During print and control room mixing I take advantage
of the digital signal to noise and work with
relatively low levels.