[ardour-users] Help please

philicorda philicorda at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 28 12:51:17 PDT 2004

James McDonald wrote:

> All software: Ardour and Qjackctl are installed and I can launch
> Qjackctl but I keep getting the message that "Client cannot connect to
> Jack server".  Is there something special that needs to be done to get
> Jack to connect?
>
> Jim

You should run qjackctl and Ardour as the same user. (Root is best)
It sounds like jack might already be running.
Do you start jack after starting qjackctl? (Hit 'start')
Have you made sure jack is not running before starting qjackctl?

Do any messages appear in qjackctl message box other than that?

Do the settings in qjackctl work with your soundcard? Try 'safer'
settings with a larger frames/period.

Ardour should be run *after* starting jack with qjackctl.