[ardour-users] Can't install on Mandrake

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Fri Jul 23 21:11:15 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 19:52, R Parker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does Mandrake make it simple enough to install all the
> requirements for building the nightly tar balls? If
> yes, then maybe go that route. This will enable you to
> use alsa sequencer for the MIDI port.

Mandrake is a biatch to build on from everyone elses experience. I
validate that with the fact that I never have much luck unless it's
small stuff. Typically apps that don't need to run ./configure first.

> Otherwise...I just can't recall how I fixed this exact
> error in the past. I think HW:0 is simply the first
> specified card in the modules.conf file. Wait a
> minute.

Heres what worked for me. I went into the .ardour/ardour.rc file for the
user. I think the midi deveice lines are the first 2 of the file. Mine
showed hw:0 and was followed by the actually device like,
/dev/snd/midiC0D1. I looked at whatever midi device I had in my
/dev/snd. It was midiC0D0. So I edited the line to use this device
instead. It did not matter what I called it (hw:0, H20, Texas Ho,
whatever) It was just the device name that Ardour shows after it's lit!

> Toggle button pix maps...How old is this package that
> you're attempting to install? My sense is that you're
> attempting to install something that is pretty old.

No idea on this one. :(