[ardour-users] adour using over 80% CPU when doing nothing

Frode Haugsgjerd froh at fsb.gotdns.org
Tue Dec 7 01:05:50 PST 2004

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 11:04:22AM +0000, Ben Edwards wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 04:21:00 +0100, Frode Haugsgjerd <froh at fsb.gotdns.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 09:45:11PM +0000, Ben Edwards wrote:
> > > OK - here goes
> > >

> > -snip-
> >
> > > 0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G400
> > > AGP (rev 04)
> >
> > You should realy use xorg's matrox driver and dri/agpgart instead
> > of vesa.
>
> Ubuntu uses XFree86 (next version will be using x.org), how easy is it
> to use the x.org drivers with XF86Free - I have not had to add any
> extra drivers to XF86Free before.  Is this likely to cause XRUNS?

Ok, no use XFree's drivers. My point is that using AGP and the right
accelerated drivers saves cpu and PCI resources. Vesafb is a for poorly
supported graphics chips. Matrox is supported very well in XFree and the
linux kernel. But most important is the realtime stuff mentioned by
others.

--
Frode Haugsgjerd
Norway