[ardour-users] adour using over 80% CPU when doing nothing

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 09:21:28 PST 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 16:48:21 +0000, Ben Edwards <funkytwig at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 04:21:00 +0100, Frode Haugsgjerd <froh at fsb.gotdns.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 09:45:11PM +0000, Ben Edwards wrote:
> > > OK - here goes
> > >

> > -snip-
> >
> > > 0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G400
> > > AGP (rev 04)
> >
> > You should realy use xorg's matrox driver and dri/agpgart instead
> > of vesa.
>
> Ubuntu uses XFree86 (next version will be using x.org), how easy is it
> to use the x.org drivers with XF86Free - I have not had to add any
> extra drivers to XF86Free before.  Is this likely to cause XRUNS?
>
> Ben

Ben,
   I do not recall anyone discovering that xruns were more or less
likely under XFree86 or Xorg. To the best of my knowledge the things
most likely to cause xruns are:

1) Running Jack without realtime access.

2) The windowing system you are using. From better to worse in my experience are

- fluxbox - very minimalist, fewer processes
- Gnome - seems to run pretty well in many cases
- KDE - lots of stuff going on in the background, seems to cause xruns

I'm NOT stating that KDE can't work. Only that I've not been able to do it.

3) The kernel and how you've configured it. The 2.4 series kernel
requires capabilities. The 2.6 series kernel requires the Linux
Security Modules.

4) Hardware choices and hardware interactions - the sound card or
chip, interrupt setup for the sound card vs. other hardwre priorities,
etc.

Also, you eventually run into xruns on ANY machine as you run programs
that overpower the machine. Running Jamin in KDE is harder than
running alsaplayer in fluxbox. Underpowered machines are more likely,
all other things being equal, to have xruns.

That's a very quick list. Other folks are likely to pop up with a few
things I didn't think of making this quick response. In general, focus
on getting these things handled and you'll probably be in better
shape.

Good luck,
Mark