[ardour-users] Re: [ardour-dev] MTC Ardour master Samplitude slave

Tom Szilagyi st444 at hszk.bme.hu
Thu Dec 2 04:38:36 PST 2004

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, mArukqs wrote:

> What is your HW config (unfortunately I am VIA chipset owner which probably
> is a cause of all my headaches :/ )?
>
> Should I move back to RH9 - currently I am running FC1 and ardour crashes
> often as hell. Especially LADSPA plugins eat many resources. I add single
> TAP Reverberator, TAP Equalizer and my CPU utilization jumps to 25 percent.
> Ardour crashes on xruns very often. I tried various jack configurations.
> Do you carefully check your CPU utilization in ardour while recording, that
> it does not reaches 100%?

Hi,

the particular plugins you mentioned should not cause that severe
unstabilities. (If you track it down to the plugins, send me a bug
report!) I have a plugin setup running at constant 78% CPU utilization
(on a P4 1.4 GHz UP machine), and it's completely stable for me.

Some LADSPA plugins can have denormal float bugs, but I believe these
plugins are not affected (not because I wrote them, hehe)
Yes, the reverb is quite CPU hungry, but the EQ should not be a problem.

Unfortunately I cannot comment on distro issues since I use a custom-built
system (a patched-to-hell debian woody, actually), but others will help me
out with this :)

Tom