[ardour-users] Re: [ardour-dev] MTC Ardour master Samplitude slave

Thu Dec 2 11:46:14 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 00:51, mArukqs wrote:
> What is your HW config (unfortunately I am VIA chipset owner which probably
> is a cause of all my headaches :/ )?
>
> Should I move back to RH9 - currently I am running FC1 and ardour crashes
> often as hell.

RH9 and FC1 should be equivalent, on Planet CCRMA both use the same
kernel (which I believe is the most important piece of the puzzle -
followed by configuration).

> Especially LADSPA plugins eat many resources. I add single
> TAP Reverberator, TAP Equalizer and my CPU utilization jumps to 25 percent.
> Ardour crashes on xruns very often. I tried various jack configurations.
> Do you carefully check your CPU utilization in ardour while recording, that
> it does not reaches 100%?

If the audio software uses all the cpu you will get tons of xruns, jack
will be very unhappy and most probably all clients will be kicjed out of
the graph. There is no way to handle that, IMHO.

I don't know about the ardour crashes, currently Planet CCRMA is still
at beta19 because the 21 and 22 releases were deemed dangerous by Paul
(ie: "don't release them, wait for the next beta").

-- Fernando