[ardour-users] RE: RE: Problems recording through Jack -- update

andy news4 at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Mon Aug 30 01:37:52 PDT 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:20:45 +0100, andy wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 08:35:53 +0100, andy wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 13:52:45 -0400, Darcy Kahle wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for this suggestion.  Rosegarden and ardour are now synching up
>>> nicely.  What I now have to do is work out the sound routing, so that what
>>> is played in rosegarden is recorded in ardour.  A few days ago, someone
>>> pointed out that Rosegarden is supposed to be connected to Ardour's tracks,
>>> which in turn connect to Ardour's master bus, which plays out to Alsa_pcm.
>>> For the life of me, I cannot puzzle through setting this up inside the
>>> respective packages.
>>>
>>> The tracks in Rosegarden use the Soundblaster Live! Synth #1.
>>
>> The problem is, the soundblaster synth lives on the sound card, not in
>> jack, rosegarden or ardour, so there's no way to get the audio into ardour
>> unless you either:
>>
>> - find a way to route the pcm audio from the SB Live synth back into jack
>> through one of the alsa capture devices. Probably possible with that card,
>> but I don't know how.
>> - loop it back using an external audio cable, and record it back into jack
>> that way. But you lose quality.
>> - or use a software synthesiser (e.g. fluidsynth) that runs entirely
>> inside the CPU, and route the output from that to ardour, then to the
>> soundcard's pcm audio out.
>
> P.S. I bought one of these cards the other day, but I haven't got it all
> set up yet, which is why I'm not so much help. But this page
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=SBliveCapture
>
> says how to route the rendered midi audio back to one of the alsa capture
> devices (should just be alsa_pcm:capture_1, alsa_pcm:capture_2). So if you
> can get this working, you could just set up a track in ardour with those
> as the inputs.

P.P.S. - I just got this working with my SBLive. Just set the mixer
settings as it says on that page, then route alsa_pcm:capture_1/2 back
into ardour and record it to a track. Just make sure not to route the
output of that track back to the master monitor, or you'll end up playing
the midi twice (i.e. the volume you hear won't be the same as what's
recorded.) You'll have to specifically unset this routing, as it's the
default. not sure how this compares to the softsynth method for audio
quality.

--
http://www.niftybits.ukfsn.org/

remove 'n-u-l-l' to email me. html mail or attachments will go in the spam
bin unless notified with [html] or [attachment] in the subject line.