[ardour-users] RE: RE: Problems recording through Jack -- update

andy news4 at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Mon Aug 30 01:20:45 PDT 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 08:35:53 +0100, andy wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 13:52:45 -0400, Darcy Kahle wrote:
>
>> Thanks for this suggestion.  Rosegarden and ardour are now synching up
>> nicely.  What I now have to do is work out the sound routing, so that what
>> is played in rosegarden is recorded in ardour.  A few days ago, someone
>> pointed out that Rosegarden is supposed to be connected to Ardour's tracks,
>> which in turn connect to Ardour's master bus, which plays out to Alsa_pcm.
>> For the life of me, I cannot puzzle through setting this up inside the
>> respective packages.
>>
>> The tracks in Rosegarden use the Soundblaster Live! Synth #1.
>
> The problem is, the soundblaster synth lives on the sound card, not in
> jack, rosegarden or ardour, so there's no way to get the audio into ardour
> unless you either:
>
> - find a way to route the pcm audio from the SB Live synth back into jack
> through one of the alsa capture devices. Probably possible with that card,
> but I don't know how.
> - loop it back using an external audio cable, and record it back into jack
> that way. But you lose quality.
> - or use a software synthesiser (e.g. fluidsynth) that runs entirely
> inside the CPU, and route the output from that to ardour, then to the
> soundcard's pcm audio out.

P.S. I bought one of these cards the other day, but I haven't got it all
set up yet, which is why I'm not so much help. But this page
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=SBliveCapture

says how to route the rendered midi audio back to one of the alsa capture
devices (should just be alsa_pcm:capture_1, alsa_pcm:capture_2). So if you
can get this working, you could just set up a track in ardour with those
as the inputs.

If you go for the softsynth method, fluidsynth uses the same soundfont2
files as the SB Live, which might be handy.

--
http://www.niftybits.ukfsn.org/

remove 'n-u-l-l' to email me. html mail or attachments will go in the spam
bin unless notified with [html] or [attachment] in the subject line.