[ardour-users] RE: RE: Problems recording through Jack -- update

andy news4 at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Mon Aug 30 00:35:53 PDT 2004

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 13:52:45 -0400, Darcy Kahle wrote:

> Thanks for this suggestion.  Rosegarden and ardour are now synching up
> nicely.  What I now have to do is work out the sound routing, so that what
> is played in rosegarden is recorded in ardour.  A few days ago, someone
> pointed out that Rosegarden is supposed to be connected to Ardour's tracks,
> which in turn connect to Ardour's master bus, which plays out to Alsa_pcm.
> For the life of me, I cannot puzzle through setting this up inside the
> respective packages.
>
> The tracks in Rosegarden use the Soundblaster Live! Synth #1.

The problem is, the soundblaster synth lives on the sound card, not in
jack, rosegarden or ardour, so there's no way to get the audio into ardour
unless you either:

- find a way to route the pcm audio from the SB Live synth back into jack
through one of the alsa capture devices. Probably possible with that card,
but I don't know how.
- loop it back using an external audio cable, and record it back into jack
that way. But you lose quality.
- or use a software synthesiser (e.g. fluidsynth) that runs entirely
inside the CPU, and route the output from that to ardour, then to the
soundcard's pcm audio out.

--
http://www.niftybits.ukfsn.org/

remove 'n-u-l-l' to email me. html mail or attachments will go in the spam
bin unless notified with [html] or [attachment] in the subject line.