[Ardour-Dev] Development Summary (5.8..ba24f287ca)

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Wed May 3 14:51:35 PDT 2017

On 05/03/2017 10:03 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Wed, May 03, 2017 at 07:42:09PM +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>
>>> - Use Shift key to enable group when moving Fader with group disabled.
>>
>> Sorry to have to ask, but is the inverse also possible? Because that
>> is the standard usecase. I know I want my drum tracks to gang, but
>> then I realise the hihat is too soft, so <mod>-click and correct.
>> Having the "turn group on temporary" modifier seems a bit pointless to me.

Did you actually try it? It sounds like what you describe is exactly
what Ardour-git does.

Shift+Drag on a fader *inverts* the group setting. Enable disabled
groups and disable enabled groups.

What's arguable is that the effective state is inverted. e.g. When a
group is enabled, but the group is configured to not share gain,
Shift+Drag also enables gain-sharing.

> The same goes for exclusive solo: clicking a solo button with shift
> should override that so you can solo two or more channels without
> have to change the 'solo mode'.

Shift+Click Solo toggles Solo-isolate, Ctrl+Click overrides group on
Solo + Mute.

Ctrl+Alt+click is supposed to exclusively solo (regardless of solo
mode), but that's currently broken in git. Fixing this and also allowing
multiple solos in Excl. Solo mode is trickier. I'll see if I can squeeze
that in before the 5.9 release.

[..]

> BTW, 5.8 still reconnects auditioner and click to system ports
> even if the session was saved without those connections. That's
> a very old one.

Indeed, "empty" port-name for those means "use defaults". Unless you
audition or enable the metronome it won't play anything on these ports.

It's intentional and not a bug. It's a lot more inconvenient if they're
not connected to anything.

Cheers!
robin