[Ardour-Dev] OSC control of individual processors?

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Tue Jun 20 04:51:01 PDT 2017

On 06/20/2017 12:36 AM, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jun 2017, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>
>>>    oscsend localhost 3819 /strip/plugin/parameter iiif 3 1 2 400
>>
>> I was using this a while ago and while it worked somehow, I hit upon a
>> weird bug (some params being inaccessible, I need to dig up some old
>> notes, I think I put it in mantis...).
>> But since /strip doesn't show up when I run "ardour5 -A", I thought it
>> had been discontinued and didn't consider it. Is there a specific
>> reason it's omitted from the generated list?
>
> Why would strip show up if you ran ardour5 -A ? It is not a menu action.
> That is there is no menu option that does /strip something. the -A
> switch shows menu actions that any surface can use and send signals to
> the GUI.

Now that you mention it, it seems utterly obvious :)

> OSC on the other hand interacts with the strips and session
> directly without going through the GUI at all (except for /access_action
> of course). Please see
> http://manual.ardour.org/using-control-surfaces/controlling-ardour-with-osc/
> for the best source of information.

Excellent, thanks! One question: the addressing of strips seems to rely
on the banking? That means an action happens like this:
tell ardour what banksize i want and select bank N
use strip SSID relative to bank N to perform an operation.

That means I can set banksize to 0 and basically address all
tracks/buses/vcas from my remote DAW easily, but only as long as I don't
want to use a banked control surface at the same time. Which I could
live with, just trying to see if my understanding is correct. Or is
there a way of absolutely adressing strips as well?

Luxury problem: would it be feasible to have Ardour listen to more than
one OSC port, with each port having different /set_surface settings? So
that I can have my OSC remote app, my physical fader bank, *and* some
other fancy remote control at the same time?
That is assuming the banking logic is contained in the OSC code - if
it's actually higher up in the mixer (which I guess it is given that the
code is probably shared with MIDI control), then it might be messy to try...

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
De Rijpgracht 8, 1055VR Amsterdam, Nederland

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio), Tonmeister VDT
http://stackingdwarves.net